Sunday 14 October 2012

26 seasons and counting...

Roughly twenty six years ago, (that would have made me thirteen), I stumbled across a new sport being broadcast on my little 15" Radio Rentals TV one Sunday afternoon. That sport was American Football, and although only half watching at first, my curiosity was piqued to such a point that by the end of the broadcast I knew I'd found something that interested me and enthralled me, even if I didn't have a clue what was going on.
From the highly edited highlight show that November night on Channel 4 onwards, I was totally hooked, and I still am today. 
Back then, coverage was minimal, but at least I could get a weekly fix and discover the sights and sounds of this complex yet fascinating game. 
I was drawn in by the colours, the speed and the physicality. 
The opening credits from Channel 4 in 1986

Almost immediately I began to learn all I could about NFL football, buying magazines, books and anything I could get my hands on so I could understand it better. As I learnt more, and saw more teams, I found myself completely immersed. 

Remember this kitchen appliance?

My favourite player from 1986, Joe Montana 

Aside from a couple of seasons where TV coverage was almost non existent, I have been just as enthusiastic every year since. I have ignored ribbing by friends and workmates about the length of time a game takes/players wearing excessive padding (to be fair, some of those 80's pads were HUGE (link), - and that was just the presenters) and all manner of little digs. But my love has been undiminished, and from September to February, my weekly ritual of game watching continues. Interesting to think though, how things were in 1986.
The average house price was £44,000
A gallon of petrol was £1.89 (or around 38p a litre)
A first class stamp was 18 pence
A Mars bar was 20p
A pint of milk was 25p
A... (Insert sound of needle sliding across a vinyl record here), OK, I'll stop.
'Gumball helmets' were all the rage at school!

Although these prices have been fairly consistent with inflation, to see them seems almost unthinkable. But I digress. As I sit here watching another week's NFL games, with the ability to watch them both on my television, my computer and my phone - all at the same time, I realise how far things move in such a relatively short space of time. 
From  one hour tape delayed highlight shows, to trying to tune my radio to the Armed Forces Radio in bed at 1am for a Monday night game, I've enjoyed every minute. And I love American Football as much as I did all of those 26 seasons ago...

Tomorrow, I'm going even further back in time, and the story of a rather stormy night...

No comments:

Post a Comment